Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Food enriches life

My friend and roomie, Debbie, surprised me for my birthday with Thomas Keller's cookbook, ad hoc at home. I haven't finished flipping through the many interesting chapters and pictures, but I did get through some of the prologue...which I had to share!

When I think about why I enjoy food so much, it's hard to describe why it makes me happy, especially when the sensation of taste is so temporary. But I know that it does. I think Keller has a pretty good handle on explaining it.

"When we eat together, when we set out to do so deliberately, life is better, no matter your circumstances. Whether it's a sad or difficult time, whether it's an ordinary-seeming day, or whether it's a time of celebration, our lives are enriched when we share meals together." - Thomas Keller

So there you have Keller's insight on why we find joy in food. The joy of it is in sharing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment